Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Milk House Music, Gerry Hubbard



By Gerry Hubbard

I  sang while in the milk house,  the acoustics were so good,
This was well before “The King” & rock and roll
Theresa Brewer, Patty Page & the real Johnny B. Goode
The Hounds Sounds out of Buffalo, the roots of Detroit soul

High Noon by old Tex Ritter, not the one by Frankie Laine
That low bass voice would vibrate round that room
Bill Haley And The  Comets and Rock Around The Clock
And  the  music by Mitch Miller started toward it’s doom

The Love Sick Blues by Don Cornell and Leonard Reynold’s songs
Would fill my thoughts  as I just worked along
“Seven Lonely Days”,  Hank William’s “Cold Cold Heart”
Put heart and mind and soul  where they  belonged

I heard the  first rock  music from an old car radio
That buzzed and snapped to get a signal in
Driving from North Blenheim in the night at 2am
I first heard the wailing tenor of  “The King”

So now I’ve got a mini disc, tape players & cds
An ipod and an xm radio
And I’ve got my cars and trucks and house and body wired for sound
So I’ve got songs just everywhere I  go.

But sometimes in the reverie of  music that abounds
From some far place I hear a lonesome keen
And I go back to that old farm when I was just a boy
And hear that pre-rock music once again.

And I go back to that old farm when I was just a boy
And hear that pre-rock music once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment