Sunday, July 3, 2011

Jet Trails Talking Blues: Un-empathetic Version Gerry Hubbard




I was working in the milk house singing “Seven Lonely Days”
When I heard my first jet aircraft flying by
I think it was the Saber Jets from the SAC base out in Rome
That left those crisp white contrails in the sky

And after that I seemed to hear and see jet planes a lot
When the mountain skies were cloudless blue & clear
And I thought it must be always clean and cool up in that plane
While we worked in dust and grease and dirt down here.

I recall the old Case baler and a sea of seed and dust
As we pulled those “blocks” and pushed those wires through
And I’d see the long jet contrails like the white foam on the sea
And there had to be  a better job to do.

I was “Leaving On A Jet Plane” long before the song was sung
As  the summer  gnats & horse flies  buzzed my head
“Where  the rain never falls and the sun always shines”
Was a lyric still unwritten in the attic in my bed.

“Away and westward bound, high above the clouds she’ll fly”
Was a thought that seemed to help us while we toiled
In the winter in the snow, in the spring time cool & wet
In the summer when the dust & hayseed boiled.

Now when I fly and see the country roll out far below
And I think of those old hard days on the farm
I don’t look back in anger, I just always look ahead
And realize it didn’t do us harm

And I wonder if there’s not some kid who’s watching us fly by
And he’s stuck there doing some damn dirty task
And he wishes somehow someway he was up here in this plane
And then I think…
“Tough shit, son, kiss my ass.
“I got out by driving truck and digging’ lot’s of ditch,
So if you want out, just suck it up and do your own damn bit.”

No comments:

Post a Comment