Thursday, October 23, 2014

More Than Man: David Hubbard

 
More than Man

It’s more than fire burning here
That keeps our tired bodies warm
And all that’s falling from the air 
Is more than just another storm

More than water cools these stones
Beneath the shallow riverbed
It’s more than life existing here
That comes and goes again

And I’m looking for
More than I’m looking for
Deep inside looking for
More than man

Morning breaks in this old town
Chevrolets and passers by
One old buddy comes around
Autumn blazes up the sky

Invites me over for a bite
A friendly whiskey at his table
A ruby smile ignites his face
And he says, “Long as I’m able

“I’m looking for
More than I’m looking for
Deep inside looking for
More than man”

Blackbird passes by
And another man has died
Earth is frozen like a stone
Spinning silently outside

As I stand to take my leave
Rests his fingers on my sleeve
“Warm your boots here by the fire
This could be your final hour”

It’s more than snow that coats these roads
Creaking frozen ‘neath my wheels
It’s more than dashboard radio
More than music that I feel

More than sun that blazes high
A new-born season screams hello
It’s more than fire in these eyes
And I may never know, but

I’m looking for
More than I’m looking for
Deep inside looking for
More than man

1 comment:

  1. As I stand to take my leave
    Rests his fingers on my sleeve
    “Warm your boots here by the fire
    This could be your final hour”

    That's too cool! Thanks for posting this. Really like the guitar...it gets in your head.

    ReplyDelete