Friday, June 3, 2011

Excuses By David Hubbard














Excuses                   ©David Hubbard
And now the time is drawing in
I’m at the blackboard drawing them -
my little dreamy sketches -
my hopes for some bright evening
Inside somewhere I know I
should be putting every breath to
better use – What could be better?
I’ve learned to make excuses
I’ve seen the writing on the soul
and burned a hundred bridges
I know I might have given in
a time or two, but now I’m pressed with
this great reality that stares
just like a looming teacher –
A young birch rod in hand and
watching me every step I go
I’ve learned to make excuses
You’ve learned to pack your things and go
You’ve learned that things get better
and in the distance, you see I’m
standing like a shadow
The West is calling louder
The rest is worth leaving behind
Try another flavor
I want to taste the river
I want to taste the ocean floor
I’ve got a good idea
I’ve got another notion:
I’m gonna change my standards
Someday, you’ll see me in the fall
I’ll walk the straight and narrow
You’ll learn to make excuses
We’ll live in harmony – that’s all
And in a hundred years our
impact will be so very small
Want to ride a hundred highways
I’m waking up to something
I want to love again, and
I’ve learned to make excuses
I want a brand new lover
I know that there’s no other
I’ve learned to count my blessings
I want to count another
I’ve learned to make excuses
I’ve learned to make excuses
I’ve learned to make excuses

No comments:

Post a Comment