Friday, February 25, 2011

The Speckled Pony, 10 Year Old Craig Hubbard


The Speckled Pony by ten year old Craig Hubbard, guitar and harmony by Gerry Hubbard...live



The Speckled Pony

Death ain’t nothing but  a speckled pony, ain’t never been rode
That’s what Freddy Jonesy told me, many bottles ago
And I guess Freddy was the best damned man
Ever stepped in his faded jeans
Everybody said Freddy did everything bad
But he never did anything mean

That death ain’t nothing but a speckled pony, Freddy came to know
Reading his motel bible, in Vaughn, New Mexico
Now there’s lot of trails old man Freddy rode
Won’t never be rode no more
Cause he’s out there lying in a line shack dying
With a chair up against the door

And I recall when Freddy told me when I ride my speckled pony
You can bet that pony will know he’s found a man who’ll ride him well
All  my friends have gone before me, but I’ll ride him home to glory
Out of nothin’ but my ornery and my pride in my own self

Now can’t you hear that speckled pony, he’s riding tonight
And Freddy Jones is just a working cowboy and he’s hanging on real tight
In a shack with a cot and a Coleman stove and that cold pan handle wind
There’s a friend of mine who don’t know his kind ain’t never gonna come again

And I recall when Freddy told me how he’d ride his speckled pony
You can bet that pony will know he’s found a man who’ll ride him
All  my friends have gone before me, but I’ll ride him home to glory
Out of nothin’ but my ornery and my pride in my own self

No comments:

Post a Comment